Here are some interesting facts about self-storage you may not have known:
1. It is thought the concept of self-storage began 6,000 years ago in China. Large clay pots were used for possessions to be stored in underground pits, with guards watching over them full time.
2. The first modern storage facilities appeared in the UK in the 1980’s
3. Approximately 32% of people moving home use self-storage
4. It is estimated there are just under 2,000 self-storage facilities in the UK (approx. 590 of these are predominately shipping container facilities)
5. Around 83% of businesses that use self-storage tend to have less than 10 employees
6. Altogether, the UK is home to almost half of all Europe’s self-storage facilities
7. Only around 50% of the UK public have a good awareness of self-storage
8. There are around 50,000 self-storage facilities in the United States, making US citizens the biggest global hoarders.
9. Self-Storage units are so convenient that most people tend to rent them for longer than initially anticipated.
10. Self-storage is short for “self-service storage”