Self-storage units are a great way to store items that you don’t use all that often. Whether you’re holding onto mementos, have seasonal items squashed into a shed or items you’re planning to sell, many families find that a storage unit can help declutter their homes, giving them space and a sense of well-being.
Utilising self-storage is an affordable and convenient option that’s allows you to securely store your items away from your home. Here we have listed a few benefits of decluttering:
- Reducing Stress: Living in a cluttered space can cause anxiety and stress. Using a self-storage unit to store your items, that you don’t necessarily need every day, will help to ease these feelings and provide you with a relaxed living space.
- Creating More Space: The items you don’t frequently use being stored away from home will enable you to make the most of your living space.
- Enabling a Move: Storing items that you don’t require until after your house move, such as furniture and appliances, will enable a smoother and more efficient moving process.
What Could you Store?
Self-storage containers are secure, clean, and dry so you can store almost anything for as long as you need to.
Tip: You must ensure your items in storage are clean and dry before you place them inside your unit. This will prevent any risks of damp, condensation or mould forming.
We have the following examples of what you could store in your container:
- Garden furniture: Instead of these items being crammed into attics, sheds, or garages, why not use a self-storage container? Your items will remain secure until the seasons change, and you require them again.
- Sporting or Camping Equipment: These items are only used occasionally and may not be used as much over the winter months. Storing these items with PadStore will help to declutter your home and you’ll be able to access your unit anytime you need them.
- Festive Decorations: These can take up a lot of space in your home and are often only used for around a month a year during festive occasions. Packaged in boxes, they will store easily in our units until you need them.
- Seasonal Clothing: Wardrobes can sometimes be a battle when you’re trying to find the appropriate outfit for the time of year. Storing your clothes in our units will keep them dry and ready for when the seasons change.
Tip: Use vacuum sealed bags to keep your clean clothes fresh.
- Mementos: Almost everyone will collect special mementos to remind them of special times in their lives such as special childhood toys, photos, holiday souvenirs etc. Although you perhaps cannot bare to throw these away, they can sometimes begin to take up space in drawers or cupboards. Storing these safely in our units will free up your home and keep them secure until such a time you want a trip down memory lane.
- Paperwork: We all end up collecting paperwork and documents at some point, which are too important to be thrown away. From bills to medical records, finding places for your files to be kept safe can take up a substantial amount of space. Although we are now entering the digital age, sometimes paper copies can be just as important to keep, especially tax records which are recommended / required to be kept for 7 years, and bank statements for 1 year. Storing these items in filing cabinets or labelled boxes in our units will ensure they are kept safe until such a time as you need or want to shred them.
- Items to Sell: Sometimes when you are decluttering your home you may come across items that you think would be good to sell. Trying to find a space at home can be a challenge, especially if the item is quite big. Storing them safely in our unit will keep them out of the way and you can easily access your unit when a sale has been completed.
- Tools: Whether you’re self-employed or have general tools for the upkeep of your home and garden, instead of trying to find space at home to store these, hire one of our units. Not only will it free up space for you, it will also make the tools you require easier to find.
When it comes to decluttering, it can be difficult to know where to start. Sometimes it can seem to be a huge daunting task, especially if you’re thinking about organising your whole home in one go. The best thing to do is to take on one manageable room at a time, this way you’ll feel more motivated and begin to see the changes you’re making. You don’t need to do it all in one day!
Does it Spark Joy?
When it comes to decluttering take a leaf out of Marie Kondo’s book. If the item you’re holding doesn’t spark any joy or happiness, do you want to keep it? Doing this is a great way of deciding whether you want to keep something or discard it.
Sorting your possessions into piles of keep, sell, donate, throw away, or self-store is a great way of deciding where everything belongs. Once you’ve got your ‘keep’ pile you can begin to put everything away, hopefully you should find you will have more space, and everything doesn’t feel so cluttered and crammed.
Set a Goal
If you’re struggling to find the motivation to start decluttering, then set a timeframe for what you would like to achieve and by when. Ensure the goal is realistic and manageable. If you set an unachievable goal for yourself, you may not feel motivated to start, or find that you’re leaving areas you’ve started half finished.
Scheduling yourself to do a bit each day and sticking to the time set will help maintain your focus and avoid distraction from the task at hand.
In conclusion, self-storage can be an excellent solution to decluttering your home and creating an ideal living space for you and your family. PadStore gives you full access to your possessions in storage - after all, your items belong to you.